Personal Care Aide Training (PCA)
The Department of Medical Assistance Services (DMAS) Approved Derai Training Center to offer Personal Care Aide (PCA) training course. DMAS developed a curriculum to be used by providers to establish uniform training. Personal Care Aide training program is a minimum of 40hours.
Graduates of this PCA program are only authorized to provide personal care nursing aide services to Medicaid Waiver recipients. All students must understand that this program will not be recognized by the Virginia State Board of Nursing, nursing and medical facilities, or other state nursing boards, but only by DMAS Waiver programs.
This aide training curriculum is not intended to contain all information and practical training that is appropriate for personal care nursing aides. This outlined curriculum is information that DMAS is requiring as a part of the training program. DMAS created this curriculum to ensure that certain issues and subjects are taught to students who will be providing Medicaid services. The student will demonstrate all techniques, procedures, tasks, and assigned duties within the curriculum.
DMAS Requirements for Personal Care Aides (PCA) include:
Must be 18 years of age or older; Must be able to read and write in English to the degree necessary to perform the tasks expected; and Must be able to perform the tasks required.
• DMAS Expectations
• DMAS Requirements for Personal Care Aides
I. The Elderly
• Physical and Biological Aspects of Aging
• Psychological Aspects of Aging
• Types of Physical Disabilities of Handicaps
II. Personal Care and Rehabilitative Services
• Body Mechanics
• Limitations on the Personal/Respite Care Aide Activities
• Techniques used by Personal/Respite Care Aide
• Goals of Personal Care
III. Home Management
• Care of the Home and Personal Belongings
IV. Safety and Accident Prevention in the Home
• Common Types of Accidents
• Accident Prevention
V. Food, Nutrition, and Meal Preparation
• Importance of Nutrition to the Individual
VI. Documentation Requirements for Medicaid Recipients Aide Records.
• Classes are held Monday-Friday 5pm-9pm (10days) total of 40hrs. A clean uniform must be worn every class period.
Please call 757-312-0434 for dates and tuition.